Thursday, June 14, 2012

Never Surrender

I'm a pretty lucky gal. I'm participating in Elana Johnson's SURRENDER Blogfest that entails writing about a time that you never surrendered. Click HERE to get the deets and see who else is participating (and there is still time to participate, too! Win great prizes, get some Surrender swag, and Elana is awesome so give that lovely author a shout out!).

I thought back on times that I never surrendered, and I first thought, "Dang. I'm pretty lucky. I haven't really been through terribly difficult times. I've had a pretty great life." As I said, I'm a lucky girl. But then I did some more thinking. Yeah, I guess I have had some hard times, but.... I stayed positive. I moved on. I fought on.

Even as a youth, I tried to make good choices. I worked hard in school and sports. I didn't do drugs. I was competitive in everything I did. I do believe that many times luck is the result of hard work plus good timing. But you can't control everything.
As an adult I realize I was faced with hard times (but thankfully more good times) as many of you did. My parents divorced. But I did see that it was best for them and moved on and got over it. I married young and have been with the same man for twenty years - through good times and bad. But we are still together. I've witnessed my child lose a kidney, have multiple convulsions from epilepsy, and  watched our children cry and laugh over small and big losses and gains. But I became my children's advocate, researched medical problems, talked with their teachers, stayed ever present in their education and their lives. In these awful economic times, my hubby and my careers have been compromised, we almost moved to another state, lived apart due to a job, but yet we are still hanging on. Times are tough for everyone. But you can't dwell, you just do what you gotta do.

My point in all of this ramble? Stay positive. Don't give up.

When life gives you lemons, throw that lemon in a tall glass of ice water. Honey, you are going to need it, because sometimes you have to work that much harder. Make some pink lemonade cupcakes to celebrate life's little joys. Mix some lemonade with a splash of vodka to deal with a bump in the road. Heck, make an Arnold Palmer, because it tastes so darn good!
Do stay positive. Don't give up. Smile more. Frown less.

Congrats to Elana on her second novel, SURRENDER.
And since I love me some tunes. Listen to some Corey Hart. And never surrender.

27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A positive attitude will take you far!

Kristi said...

What a great post!

So often life is all about perspective and you have a tremendously amazing one. *hugs*

And a HUGE congratulations to Elana on her new book. Can't wait to read it! :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Attitude is so critical. And going through my own experience, I totally agree that life doesn't always give us great experiences. Sometimes they are not good ones, but we have to deal with them. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

E.J. Wesley said...

Yes, yes, yes! Never give up, never surrender.

storyqueen said...

Oh! I've been waiting for someone to post the Corey Hart video in relation to Elana's book! I should have known it would be our rock-and-roll blog queen!

You made my Thursday feel like a Friday!

Shelley

Kelly Polark said...

Alex - I definitely believe that!!
Thank you, Kristi! (hugs back!)
Natalie - Agreed. Life is not always going to turn out the way you think; you just have to move on and do the best you can! :)
EJ- Sing it, brothah!
Shelley- I do love that song, and thanks to Elana, it's in my playlist now! :)

cleemckenzie said...

Yes to positive attitudes and definitely yes to Corey Hart. Thanks, Kelly.

Lauren said...

Staying positive is the biggest part. I still remember the time I actually looked UP in high school, and discovered that I'd never seen the lights.

Focus up and concentrate on the positive.

Anita said...

Hah! I love that you included the song here. I hope the book does well!!!!!

Barbara Watson said...

Hopped here from Elana's links for the blogfest! Thanks for the reminder. (And I LOVE Corey Hart!)

Bish Denham said...

Excellent, Kelly. Isn't it odd how when you are living through your hard times, it's the people around you who see you as strong and brave. But for you, for me, for anyone going through something hard, it's not about strength and bravery so much as simply going on living, because, that's what we, as humans, do best. We live.

Never surrender!

Douglas Florian said...

Inspiring post, Kelly!

Elana Johnson said...

I love this! It's so true that sometimes its just the act of living that means you haven't surrendered. You are awesome!! Thanks for posting.

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome post, Kelly! Staying positive even when life chucks stuff at you is the best way to get through it! And Corey Hart? More awesome!

Kelly Polark said...

Lee- A positive attitude helps!
Lauren - I like that. Focus UP!
Anita - I can't believe I hadn't seen a Surrender post with the video yet! I had to!
Barbara - He's a nice blast from the past!
Bish - I agree. Just keep livin.
Thank you, Douglas!
Elana - You are welcome!!
Jemi - I may have to wear my sunglasses at night tonight. ;)

Sophia Chang said...

I LOVE hearing all the daily trials that people go through - it always makes me feel so much more normal and just okay. OKAY.

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Great post! Elana is such a sweet pea and I can't WAIT to read this!!!!

Christina Lee said...

*grabs hold of Kelly's sunshine and infuses it* You are so amazingly positive and I am glad to know you!

LTM said...

Kudos to you! I love the part about being your child's advocate. I think that's even harder than dealing with our own stuff because you can feel so helpless. If you can stay positive, you can go so far! Here's to never surrendering, even though I really don't like that song--LOL! :D xoxo

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

A positive attitude and hard work always pays off in the long run. :)

DL Hammons said...

That Corey Hart song is one of my anthems! I play it all the time!!

You're right...sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! :)

Lydia Kang said...

Aw, I love that song!
Wonderful post Kelly. You have been through so much and yet you are always upbeat, energetic and never a complainer. I have a lot of admiration for you. Seriously.

Christina Farley said...

I love your motto on never giving up. This is so true! I also enjoyed this book. Great action and adventure.

Shelli (srjohannes) said...

Hey Kelly thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I'm glad you like my marketing e-book idea :)

DMS said...

What a fabulous post! It is clear that attitude makes a big difference. Your positive attitude shines through and is an inspiration.

~Jess

bennysmith said...

Like your post, thank you for sharing! I will keep reading!

nutschell said...

hey kelly this is a great post and I love how you've changed up your blog!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com