Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tune for Tuesday

A cover song is a song sung by a singer or band that was originally recorded by another artist, basically a remake.
Did you know that "Respect" by Aretha Franklin was first written and recorded by Otis Redding ? "Hound Dog" was recorded in 1952 by Willie Mae Thornton. But it's definitely known as an Elvis Presley song. It is even #19 on Rolling Stone's list of 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. Aretha Franklin's Respect is #5 on that list!
My favorite cover song is "Helter Skelter" by Motley Crue. The originator? The Beatles. What famous song did the Beatles cover? "Twist and Shout" by the Top Notes. My second favorite cover song is "Landslide" by Smashing Pumpkins. The original is by Fleetwood Mac. All great songs.
Yep, I could talk about cover songs (or music in general) all day, couldn't I?
Instead I'll share a song/video cover song that sounded strange to me at first, but then it grew on me.
Remember Wham!'s 80's staple, "Careless Whisper?" Rock band, Seether, recorded a rockin' version of this pop ballad. I was like, "What?" when I first heard it, but I do think it's a cool version. I can't wait for Metallica to record a cover of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go!" :)
I will get to see Seether perform this song live this weekend. I am going to an all day concert with lotsa fun bands: Three Days Grace, Seether, Hollywood Undead, Papa Roach, Saliva, Puddle of Mudd, Janus and Story of the Year. There's a side stage with other bands, too!

Today's Tune for Tuesday is Seether's cover, "Careless Whisper." Check it out.



And for kicks here's WHAM!



What's your favorite cover song?