Friday, February 5, 2010

Poetry Friday

Ahhhh, February. Love is in the air, and chocolate is in my stomach. Gotta love it. What are your favorite gifts to give (or receive) on Valentine's Day? Mine are chocolate covered cherries and chocolate covered marshmallows shaped like a heart. I also love the homemade cards from the kids and my husband.
Chocolate covered marshmallows remind me of an amusing story in college. My two roomies were off to take a run like they usually did, and they asked, "Do you want to come with, Kel?" knowing full well that I wouldn't. I remember once responding while laying on my stomach on my bed with a chocolate covered marshmallow Easter egg dripping out of my mouth (that I bought myself), "Nope, because I'm a fat (expletive) pig." Then I think I napped. (One of my nicknames in college was Sleepy.)
I know, you had to be there. But we had to repeat my response often for the rest of college, and we always burst into a fit of giggles. In that year of the marshmallow treat, I was actually in the best shape of my life, because our sorority house was on the outskirts of campus, so I had to walk a long way to my classes. Those girls still think of me when they see chocolate covered marshmallow treats (and they both still run half and full marathons!). I obviously don't (but I do walk/run on the treadmill now!).

Speaking of treats, my poem "Sweet Things" is in this month's Stories for Children magazine.
Read it HERE, ya sweet thing!

This week's Poetry Friday is hosted at Great Kid Books. Stop by for more poetry links.