Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Tunes for Tuesday/GNO

Last night I had a wonderful evening with my two besties. My best friends since grade school (we grew up in the same neighborhood) and I went to Ravinia for a Pat Benatar/Blondie concert. A perfect girls night out.
Ravinia is a different concert venue. There is a pavilion, and there is a lawn where you can set up a table and chairs to enjoy the concert. We sat in the lawn, brought chairs, coolers and a mini table and enjoyed the musical night under the stars.
The Donnas opened the night. They were fun, though I am not familiar with any of their songs. Pat Benatar was next. She has so many hits like "Heartbreaker," "Hit Me With Your Best Shot," and "We Belong." She has an amazing voice. Did you know that the second Mtv video to air on the day it was launched was Pat Benatar's "You Better Run"?
Photobucket
Blondie was last. Can you believe that Debbie Harry is 64 years old?! Her voice sounded great. Love the old tunes. It was fun to see two female powerful, beautiful pioneers of rock in one night.
Photobucket
So today we have two tunes from the eighties. And by the way, yes I intended to look like a chick from the eighties last night. (I was even rocking a side ponytail.) When I got home at midnight, I said to my husband, "Guess how many people dressed up like the eighties tonight?" He answered, "One." And he was right! Just little old me.
Here is my favorite Pat Benatar song, "Promises in the Dark."

Here is my favorite Blondie song, "Heart of Glass."

17 comments:

jama said...

Rock on, Kelly! LOVE the side ponytail. Can't believe DH is 64!

Solvang Sherrie said...

I would have LOVED to go to that concert! Pat Benetar is one of my favorites. Did you know she started off singing opera? That's why she has such a powerful voice. She really knows how to control it.

I took my kids to see David Cook last week and I totally thought of you =)

Kelly H-Y said...

Oh my goodness ... what an awesome evening!!! That concert sounds awesome ... it would have brought back so many memories!

Big Plain V said...

Oh, I had it bad for Blondie. Still do, kind of.

Thanks for this.

(I thought about working 'licking my wenis' into this comment, but I didn't want to disturb any of your blog readers)

C.R. Evers said...

Wow! I had no idea Debbie Harris was 64 years old! Wow!

Sounds like a fun time. And good for you for dressing up! :0)

PJ Hoover said...

I was just listening to Blondie this weekend. 64. Wow! That is some staying power!

Kelly said...

Jama & Christy - I can't believe she's 64, she looks great!
Sherrie - I did not know that. She does have amazing range!
Kelly- It was fun and nostalgic! My friends and I used to sing Pat Benatar tunes under a red spotlight!
V - I think you did just work that into the comment :) I hope I didn't disturb your readers!

Kim Kasch said...

64 unbelievable. You go to soooo many concerts - I'm so glad you share these stories.

Keri Mikulski said...

Looks like you and your BFF's had a blast.. 64? Seriously. :)

The Wild About Writing Trio said...

Sounds like a great time was had by all. Pat Benatar and Blondie are two of my favorites, too. And I had no idea Benatar's song was the second to air on Mtv. Thanks for the trivia:)

Kim

Suzanne Casamento said...

Sounds like an awesome show! I've seen Pat Benatar play a couple times. Her voice is amazing and the music always sounds fresh - even for the second video that ever aired on MTV. ; )

Nora MacFarlane said...

I met Pat Benetar once. I used to cook for the road crews for the concerts at Timberwolf Theater. Pat was traveling with Mic Fleetwood. She's a tiny thing! I had to laugh when she lugged her washer on a road case through the kitchen. She took over the bathroom for a couple of hours while she hooked up her washer to the sink. Not everyone was happy about that...

Anita said...

I love the trips you send me on...I hadn't thought about these ladies forever...too bad I just cut my hair off, or I'd wear a side ponytail in tribute, too!

Shelli said...

love the rainbow :)

sruble said...

Pat Benetar AND Blondie? I'm so jealous! I mean I'm so happy for you! Only one person dressed like the 80s and Blondie is 64? Wow (on both accounts). Hope you had a blast!!

Sliding on the Edge said...

You rock, Kelly. Love this post,

Denise said...

I remember when I was in third grade or so and I would sit by the radio and wait for "Hit Me with your Best Shot" to come on the radio.