Monday, June 29, 2009

Tune for Tuesday/Summerfest!

Summerfest is “The World’s Largest Music Festival.” It is a festival in Milwaukee, Wisconsin that lasts 11 days and features 11 stages with over 700 bands. Can you believe that I’d be interested in going to something like that?!
For the last several years, some of my family and my husband’s family have either rented a limo or a large van to go together one night of the fest. Stages are set up on 75 acres near the lakefront of Milwaukee.. Where else can you walk around and sample different foods, different beverages while sampling so many different kinds of music? The fest features local bands throughout the day and nationally known bands in the evening from a variety of music genres. Admission for all bands is very reasonable ($8-$15). Only one major stage costs more as it is a major ampitheater.
Last Saturday we took a big van to go again. Our group of eleven walked by the Bodeans and heard a few songs, then walked by Sara Evans and heard her country tunes, others went to find the band, Barenaked Ladies. Finally my mom and cousin Liz texted that they were front row at rock band, Saving Abel! So my husband’s cousins Mitch, Jake and I decided to find them. We easily managed to get to front row and listened to the last three songs. They weren’t familiar, but we really enjoyed it! We could not find my mom or Liz in the front row though…. As we found the rest of our group by the Leinenkugel tent, the servers asked us how the band Our Lady Peace was! So that’s why we didn’t find them….we were at the wrong stage! The bands were not labeled well in front of each stage. So I didn’t get to listen to Saving Abel, but I did discover a new band I liked (Our Lady Peace)!
We also enjoyed watching the people stream out of the ampitheater at the end of the night where Kiss and Chevelle were playing. We saw many a painted Kiss face. When we did see some big Kiss fans with the painted face, I’d sing out to them lyrics from “Rock and Roll All Night” or “ Lick It Up.” In case you ever want to do the same, “Rock and Roll All Night” got much more friendly responses than “Lick It Up.”
Here is today’s tune “Somewhere Out There” from the Canadian rock band, Our Lady Peace.



I figured since I talk about music once a week on my blog, I can’t not mention the death of Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson was a musical genius. I had his poster on my bedroom door. I listened to his Off the Wall and Thriller albums over and over in grade school and junior high. I would watch Mtv for hours and hours just to catch the video, “Thriller.” I even tried to memorize the dance moves in Thriller so I could dance along to the video. He was one of the most talented entertainers in my lifetime. Due to his troubled personal life and allegations against him, I do have mixed feelings about him. He certainly had a bizarre way of life. I do not know if the allegations against him are true, but if so, that is unacceptable and terrible. But I don’t know. His personal life seemed sad in so many ways.
I do know that he brought joy to so many with his music, and the world lost a talented man. Here is my favorite Michael Jackson music video, "Thriller." Do you have a favorite Michael Jackson song?