Sunday, June 21, 2009

Merlin's Beard! It's the Harry Potter Exhibit!

Last week my muggle family and I left Privet Drive to experience the Harry Potter Exhibit in Chicago. We left our brooms at home and took our trusty Suburban for the trek.
This Flying Ford was also unavailable for travel at the moment.
Photobucket
This exhibit is at the Museum of Science and Industry until September 27, so we knew we had to visit it this summer. The cost is $15 per child, $18 per adult for the exhibit only. We visited after the museum was closed so we would not have to pay for the admission to the museum as well. We went to the Science and Industry Museum a few years ago (which is great), but decided just to visit the Potter exhibit this time. I did think the fee for the exhibit was pricey as it was almost $90 for our family of five for an exhibit that took less than an hour to get through. The only other con was that photographs were not allowed. Other than that though, we enjoyed looking at the numerous props and costumes from the Harry Potter movies. The exhibit is definitely focused on the movie, not the books. I didn’t see any JK Rowling memorabilia. But of course the books were sold in the gift store!
When we entered the exhibit, an older bloke with a British accent (all the tour guides were “British”) greeted us and asked a few volunteers to put on the Sorting Hat. My oldest son was placed in Gryffindor! My other two were too shy to volunteer (surprisingly!). Another guy from our group (11 of us went together including my mom and sister who are also huge Potter fans) was placed in Slytherin!
We then walked through the many areas of costumes and props. Ron and Harry’s dorm beds and trunks from Gryffindor were set up with some of their belongings. Many wands, costumes, and significant items from the movie are showcased throughout the exhibit including the Triwizard Trophy, the golden snitch, the golden egg, the marauder’s map, and my favorite, the sorcerer’s stone. The wands were cool to see up close as each one is quite intricate and different. Professor Umbridge’s is pink! We also checked out Hagrid’s hut. I liked seeing how tall Hagrid was as his costume from the movie was on a mannequin. And blimey, his chair was huge! The kids enjoyed throwing a quaffle through three hoops. The quaffle was heavier than I thought it would be. We also enjoyed seeing stuffed replicas of Dobby, Buckbeak and Fawkes the Phoenix. The last room was the Great Hall where candles were hanging from the ceilings and many of the formal wear and food were showcased. Fred and George’s school uniforms were there along with many of the trick candy they sold to the Hogwarts students. Fred is my favorite character in the series. Fainting fancy anyone?
My younger kids moved through the exhibit more quickly than I’d have liked, so I know I missed some props. I also hoped that Cedric Diggory would make a surprise appearance at the exhibit, but alas he was a no show. His uniform and formal wear was displayed though.
Last stop was of course, the gift shop. The souvenirs ranged from fair priced plastic wands to expensive collector’s items. A marauder’s map was 50 bucks! They also sold chocolate frogs, Bernie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans, and Fudge Flies.
Here is my children’s loot (thanks, Grandma). My oldest two decided on buying a wand. The left one is Voldemort’s, the other, Hermoine’s. My youngest son bought the plastic fun stuff. The kids have been playing "Harry Potter" ever since. I swear I've heard, "Expelliarmus!" five hundred times in the five days!
Photobucket
If you are a true Harry Potter fan, it is pricey, but worth the trip. We had a jolly good family outing.