Friday, January 16, 2009

Poetry Friday

If you read my blog regularly, you know that I am really into music. Due to my love of music, my children are exposed to music on a daily basis. When they were babies, I put on classical as well as my favorite rock tunes. Now we listen to mostly rock. While they are in their rooms, they may put on the Jonas Brothers or a Disney soundtrack. My nine year old's interest in music rivals my obsession . He surprised me this winter by purchasing a Megadeth CD with his Walmart gift card! Even I don't listen to Megadeth! He heard a song on the Playstation 2 Guitar Hero game. Since there was no parental warning, he gets to listen to it... My nine year old also started guitar lessons in the fall. I never learned to play an instrument and was thrilled that he took an interest. The J-Man is doing quite well. According to his guitar instructor, he is "an exceptional student to work with that is due to a dedicated drive to accomplish a task." Thankfully he is that dedicated in his schoolwork as well. Today's poem is about my favorite musician.

Photobucket
MY GUITAR HERO by Kelly Polark

Young boy with big goals.
Strums with determination,
Tugs at my heartstrings.


Today's poetry roundup is hosted by Karen Edmisten. Stop by her site for some wonderful links to poetry. POETRY ROCKS!

18 comments:

adrienne said...

That's great that he's so motivated! I also regret not learning an instrument.
Cute picture and poem!

Kelly Fineman said...

I love seeing that image with the poem. So great!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Kelly,

I was an elementary teacher for many years. I love to see kids who have a passion for something.

Enjoyed the poem and picture you gave us for Poetry friday.

Suzanne Casamento said...

Very cool pic and poem. Rock on J-man!

slhastings said...

What a cool kid! Apples don't fall from the tree, right!

Like the poem!

C.R. Evers said...

awww! how sweet! I'm amazed at the emotion that you can evoke in such few words!

Christy

Paul Michael Murphy said...

Guitar Hero is like the Harry Potter of music. And Megadeth rules. My favorite: "Symphony of Destruction"

Rena said...

I love it! Great pic, too!

My nine-year-old and yours would get along great. Nathan is the same way about Guitar Hero. He knows I have a lot of music and is always asking if I have songs from Guitar Hero on my iPod. I don't know if he's mentioned Megadeath, but he did ask about Alice In Chains and some others. Crazy.

Tee Brown said...

Wonderful haiku, Kelly!

It's so great your son has the drive to go after his goals. A wonderful example for us all.

Tee

Fiddler said...

Very sweet, Kelly. Isn't it great to see drive and determination at such a young age?

jenniferknoblock said...

Music is soooooo wonderful. Good for your boy! My nine-yo son is being tortured by piano lessons :)
One of these days we're going to get him on the drums with his dad.
(Thank goodness the words thing is in the bag.)

Sara said...

My son plays too and he loves it. He's into all kinds of old 70's stuff like Metallica. Wait until your son starts writing his own music---it's a thrill!

Kim Kasch said...

My Jake plays the guitar, Luke and my husband play the piano and, now because of Rock Band2, it looks like Kara might take up the drums.

Great things those video games ;)

Solvang Sherrie said...

Love the picture and the poem, and that he bought Megadeth :)

Angela said...

My son is now listening to Metallica thanks to guitar hero, lol.

Brenda said...

I love to hear when youth is reading and/or creating...I hope he creates lots of wonderful music...

p.s. I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger Award on my blog...

Shelby said...

Hey you! Good for your little man for being such a motivated kid. Music is good for the soul at any age. Nice pic and your poem is wonderful too. :)

Marcia said...

His motivation is wonderful. I love his teacher's comment. Learning an instrument is great. Even though I know only enough piano (by virture of 5 years of childhood lessons)to play badly today,learning to read music improved my singing, my ability to harmonize, and served me well when I played in a handbell choir. You never lose that. And studies even show that the study of music helps with things like math.