Friday, November 21, 2008

Behind the Times

Yes, I am ten years behind...I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! I read to my three children each night -a picture book for JD, a picture book or a chapter to my daughter, and then a chapter (or several pages of a nonfiction book) to my oldest son. I finally convinced my nine year old son, J-Man, to read Harry Potter with me. I read a chapter to him aloud, then he reads on by himself. I then have to catch up and read to myself by bedtime the next evening. I 've wanted to read the Harry Potter series for a long time, but I also wanted to experience it at the same time as the J-Man. So we read it together. We have the collection that my mom saved for the kids after she and my sister read through them. Of course, it is as amazing as everyone has told me.
I knew J-Man would love the book. He would tell me daily, "You have to catch up, you won't believe what happens!" When he read the last few chapters by himself, he exclaimed, "Mom, there is a big surprise at the end! You HAVE to finish it tonight!" Thankfully, all of my children love to read, but it still fills my heart up with pride when I see them get truly excited over a book.
Last night we snuggled together and watched the movie together. J-Man was so proud to annouce the characters names as they came onto the screen. He would announce the settings, "Yep, there's Diagon Alley..." and had fun commenting throughout the whole movie.
After the movie he told his Dad, "Dad! It's better than Star Wars!" to which my husband yelped, "What??????" and pretended to look hurt.
This morning we all spoke in (bad) British accents as I sent my older two off to Hogwarts. I just hope J-Man doesn't return today with a rat named Scabbers...